Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with the following problem:

I have a program which runs a thread that opens a ServerSocket and dynamically
generates HTML pages indicating its status when it receives a valid HTML
request. It works fine on ports higher than 1024, but I wanted to run it on
port 80, so I thought the best thing to do would be to run the program as root
and have it call the setuid() function through JNI to change IDs. This works to
a certain extent. It changes the process for one thread to the new id, but the
other treads continue to run as root. And the thread whose ID has changed can
no longer spawn new threads.

I was wondering if anyone had a way to fix this problem? Or maybe I should be
using the seteuid() call. I also was wondering if anyone had any advice
regarding security and binding to these ports.

Thank You,

Chris