Hello, I've installed a fresh install of Netscape 4.76 to /usr/local/netscape
and installed JDK/SDK 1.3.0 FCS from Blackdown.org to /usr/local/j2sdk1.3.0.

The instructions for installing the Netscape plugin seems to say you just
make a symbolic link:

cd /usr/local/netscape/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/j2sdk1.3.0/jre/plugin/i386/javaplugin.so javaplugin.so

OK, I did this, but when I try to use the plugin, for instance:

cd /usr/local/j2sdk1.3.0/jre
netscape JavaPluginControlPanel.html &

... I get a popup message in Netscape that it can't load libjvm.so:

java_vm: error in loading shared libraries: libjvm.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
Plugin: Plugin is not enabled or Java VM process has died.

I don't understand this, PLEASE help me! :)

I used JDK1.2.2 FCS and the Plugin 1.2.2 FCS with no problems but this 1.3.0
just won't work.  Is 1.3.0 buggier than 1.2.2?  I want stability.

Also, in the Preferences for netscape, Advanced shows that the Enable Plugin
Option is greyed out so that I can't select it.  The normal Java is enabled.
When I was using the JDK 1.2.2 and the Plugin 1.2.2 FCS, I was able to check
or uncheck the Enable Plugin box (it was not greyed).

When I go to Help:About Plugins, it shows the Java(TM) Plug-in
Blackdown-1.3.0-FCS stuff, but again, it still doesn't work.

I also have the Java 3D 1.2 SDK installed into the j2sdk1.3.0 directory and
appletviewer runs the 3D demos fine, but I'm mentioning it in case it has
anything to do with the plugin not working.

Thanks if you can help me out! :)

--
-------- Robert B. Easter  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ---------
- CompTechNews Message Board   http://www.comptechnews.com/ -