I may not be the most qualified to answer questions in here, but here is my
suggestions:

Get the Blackdown http://www.blackdown.org/ SDK 1.3.0 FCS.  Blackdown is a
port specificly for Linux systems.  I am using it on Slackware and it works.

The INSTALL file with it says how to install the Netscape Plugin that comes
with it also.  You just make a symlink:

cd /usr/local/netscape/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/j2sdk1.3.0/jre/plugin/i386/javaplugin.so javaplugin.so

The Java Plug-in Control Panel is at
/usr/local/j2sdk1.3.0/jre/ and also in ../bin is the an actual java program
you can run instead for the Control Panel.

I had some trouble getting this plugin to work at first.  I got help on this
list and was told to try deleting ~/.java.  I deleted ~/.java and ~/.hotjava
and then the plugin worked.  It seems that if you had a prior version like
1.2.2 of the SDK and Plugin installed, stuff left in the ~/.java and/or
~/.hotjava causes problems.

-------- Robert B. Easter  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ---------
- CompTechNews Message Board   http://www.comptechnews.com/ -
- CompTechServ Tech Services   http://www.comptechserv.com/ -