Hi,

I'll expand a bit on my experiences with debugging under Linux.

I currently have 3 JDKs installed: Blackdown 1.3.0FCS, Suns original 1.3.0
(without the _01) and IBMs 1.3 with the fixes from Nov. 14. Distribution is
Debian unstable, so everything is quite bleeding edge (and sometimes
buggy).

When I first tried the Netbeans debugger a couple of weeks ago it worked
well, but eventually crashed with Blackdown in Singlestep mode. No problems
with IBM/Sun though. I downloaded a standalone debugger (Metamata) which
worked perfectly with Blackdown.

Suddenly, after one of my daily updates, the debuggers stopped to work. The
debugging tasks simply hanged and had to be killed with kill -9. I strongly
suspect glibc changes to be the cause for this (see below).

I downloaded the JBuilder Foundation as well as tried to use jdb just to
notice that these two don't work too. I checked after every update if the
situation changed, and finally after an update from glibc_2.2-6 to
glibc_2.2-7 the debuggers crashed no more. There was no other significant
update that day so I'm pretty sure it's a glibc issue.

The debugging did not work however, Netbeans and Metamata reported they
couldn't connect to the debugging task, but at least it didn't hang/crash
anymore.

Then came the update from glibc-2.2-7 to 2.2-8 and now the debuggers crash
again. I simply don't know what to do since the changelogs (glibc as well
as debian package) give no clue (at least to me) what could be the cause.
It seems not to be JVM specific though.

Is anyone here using debian unstable and is able to debug his applications?
Anyone here that has working debugging and could tell me what glibc version
he is using?

Ciao....