On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Vladimir G Ivanovic wrote:

> The short answer is no. There is no concept of memory and no concept of
> a VM in Java. So you can't go rummaging around memory looking for
> things, and (basically) you can't ask the VM to do anything except
> execute bytecodes.
>
> The longer answer is yes, provided you're willing to do some work
> beforehand. You do have references, and you can manipulate them, store
> them, and pass them around. There are even references with different
> properties with respect to the garbage collector.
>
> So, if you're willing to create a reference to the instance you will be
> interested it before you need it, and store it somewhere, you can later
> retrieve that reference at some later date and use it.

That would be a Singleton.

http://members.tripod.com/rwald/java/articles/Singleton_in_Java.html

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson