I've tried to get java working under mozilla several times without luck.

Currently I'm using mozilla 2001010517 (released this month, I believe
it's called 0.7).  I'm launching it with a script that sets the
environment variable NPX_PLUGIN_PATH to the jre/plugin/i386 directory
of the java.  I've tried both the last blackdown and Sun's jdk1.3.0_01.

When I visit a web page with java it's gives the approximate
message
  'this page has info (application/x-java-vm) that needs a plugin,
  click OK to download it'

Viewing one of the html files in the sun applet demo directory
does nothing (applet doesn't show up);
Tasks->java console does nothing that I can see (does not bring up
a window).

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, sorry for this.