> The problem is that the connection to the X display happens when the AWT
> native library is first loaded. It's a single connection that is used
> through the life of the JVM. As currently structured, the AWT won't let
> you associate different objects with different X connections. It would
> take some work (possibly deep architectural rework) on the AWT to do
> what you're asking.

 It can be done. There would be necessary to reimplement the Toolkit part of
the awt to make it perform calls to a forked JVM, that will handle each X
display. I think that IBM has something done about this, I think they call
it remote AWT and they use that to display AWT from GUI-less machines like
the AS/400.