On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Wendy Schafer wrote:

> I seem to have really messed up the JDK on my machine.  When I type
> "javac xxx.java" and press Enter, nothing happens.  The java command
> does not work either.  This problem originally started when I was using
> IBM's JDK 1.1.8.  One day I went to use it and nothing worked. It seems
> like it was after I went through and updated my machine based on all of
> the Security Advisories from Red Hat.  I tried re-installing a couple of
> times without any luck.  Now, I've tried installing Blackdown's JDK 1.3
> and it does not work.  I am running Red Hat Linux 6.2, using Kernel
> 2.2.14-5.0, and glibc-2.1.3-21.  My path is correct because I can type
> "java -fullversion" and get a correct response.
>
> Something is obviously very wrong because "javac -verbose" and "javac
> -g" also produce nothing.

Check your rpm list to see if the Red Hat installer added the kawa
packages to your machine.  Those can cause all sorts of strange
problems if they were present when you are trying to use Sun or Blackdown
java on the same machine.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson