On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:

> SUn's Bug Parade did say that Swing on remote X IS slow. The workaround
> is not to use double-buffering:
>
> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4204845.html

Something else to do is to use a stream compressor to compress the
data going across your (slow) ISDN link.  I have ISDN and I regularly
use ssh with X11 Forwarding and compression cranked up to level 9.
This made remote X apps of all sorts much more bearable.

I used ssh here because I had to use ssh anyway.  There exist other
utilities which will provide X11 compression without the ssh encryption/
authentication baggage.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson