On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have currently started developing applications with back-end PostgreSQL
> running on Linux of course and with Java front-end. I am using Java 1.3. I
> have created some stored procedures in postgres and calling it from Java
> front-end. But whenever I attempt to call a stored procedure(which is
> called as functions in Postgres), I get an exception saying that "Callable
> Statement not supported at this time" Does this mean that the JDBC driver
> that comes with postgresql7.02 does not support calling stored procedures?
> If it doesn't where can I obtain the version of the driver that does
> support. I hope you could help me out with this. I have started the
> projects by convincing the management of my company that postgresql can
> support all the functionality of all the other databases and goes 100% well
> with Java.
>
> Does blackdown have any version of JDBC that supports calling stored
> prcedures in Linux? PostgreSQL. Linux is quickly spreading all over the
> globe and so is PostgreSQL with it. Java is no exception as well. So I do
> fervently that there must be a solution this? Can you please give me some
> help in this?

This is a limitation of the PostgreSQL JDBC driver and has nothing to do
with any JVM or JDK you use.  However, since PostgreSQL functions are
callable directly in SQL, you should use them that way rather than trying
to call them through the Callable Statement interface.

There is a new mailing list for PostgreSQL and JDBC interface issues
(please see http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/mhonarc/pgsql-jdbc/).  You
may be able to find more specific information there.  There is a version
7.1 of PostgreSQL due out very soon (lie any day now), BTW.

-- Brett
                                http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/