As I recall, the version in those RPMs is very out of date and does not work.  (See the GCJ faq). If you want to try GCJ today, youll need to get the CVS tree or a recent snapshot.  See  http://gcc.gnu.org/java/index.html
I don't know what kind of state GCJ is at the moment; but I'm fairly sure it's still in beta.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am running RedHat 6.0 ... but with a lot of things upgraded, such as ( but not
limited to ):

kernel 2.2.18, using reiserfs
glibc-2.1.3 ( required by Blackdown's JDK 1.2.2 / 1.3 )

There are others, but these are the ones relevant for java on linux.

Now I want to try out GCJ. I have downloaded the relevant RPMS. However, if I
understand correctly the output at the end, I also need to replace my current C
preprocessor ( cpp package ).

This have me though for a while if it is worth it, since upgrading the cpp
package will probably also require me to upgrade glibc, etc, etc....

.. which may in turn break compiling other programs.

Furthermore, the only cpp-2.95.x out there is not even from RedHat. ( 2.96 are
the unstable ones, IIRC as per GCC committee ) Here is result of rpmfind on cpp:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=cpp&submit=Search+...
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386////cpp-2.95.1-3.i386.html

Has anyone here using RedHat 6.x tried installing gcj-2.95 using the RPMs?

Here is the output:

[root@jsalvo-desktop java]# rpm -Uvh --test gcc-libgcj-2.95-4.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        gcc-java = 2.95 is needed by gcc-libgcj-2.95-4
[root@jsalvo-desktop java]# rpm -Uvh --test gcc-java-2.95.1-3.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        cpp = 2.95.1 is needed by gcc-java-2.95.1-3
[root@jsalvo-desktop java]# rpm -qa | grep cpp
cpp-1.1.2-12

Thanks,

John