I installed j2sdk1.3.0 from Sun, but had a very similar error message.  In
order to fix this, I changed  the various symbol lines in the
font.properties file like this;

FROM:

--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*p-*-adobe-fontspecific

TO:

-urw-symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*p-*-urw-fontspecific

This change was made based on examining the fonts that I actually have
available on my system which is a stock RedHat 7.0 plus necessry patches.
So basically, you need to make the font.properties match what you actually
have avaialble.

Cynthia Jeness