Why doesn't a call to getSystemClipboard give me what's in the
system clipboard?  Briefly, I'm working under Linux using X
windows.  I load something into the system clipboard from an
xterm using the left mouse button.  Then, when I move into my
application and click on a home-grown paste button that
uses the getSystemClipboard call, I get nothing.  Ironically,
X11 copy and paste operations that rely solely on the left and
middle mouse buttons work fine.  I can also copy into the system
clipboard using the mouse in an xterm and then paste directly
into an editable TextArea just fine.

I'm coming to the conclusion that what java thinks is the system
clipboard isn't that at all.

What I'd like is a nice unified cut/copy/paste system.  That is,
I'd like to cut/copy/paste within an editable TextArea as
well as to cut/copy/paste between the text area and other
applications in Linux and Windows 98, using the mouse buttons
and/or cut/copy/paste buttons that are home-grown MenuItems,
complete with ctrl-x,c,v shortcuts.

So, if Java's system clipboard isn't really the system clip
board, what is it?

Thanks,

Dick