Hi Kazuyuki,

> I remember Hewlett Packard was working on the problem and they
> introduced a select()-like API into their class library.

Sun also provided a Java wrapper for its Solaris /dev/poll interface
with the Solaris JDK Production Release.  I'm not sure whether it's
still in the Solaris J2SE SDK.

> But the HP does not participate with the expert group for the JSR #000051.
> I feel it is strange.

I was pleased to see that Dan Kegel is on the group, though, since he
gives the most thorough discussion of the problem:

  The C10K Problem
  http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html

John Neffenger