Thanks to Cythia and Calvin for pointing me to the solution.  To summarize
(for the list):

In order to get a stock or upgrade RedHat 7.1 (i386) system to run
Sun JDK 1.3.0_02 the following two changes must be made:

1. Create a symbolic link from /bin/cut to /usr/bin/cut

        ln -s /bin/cut /usr/bin/cut

2. Modify the $JAVA_HOME/bin/.java_wrapper script by adding the
   following two links after the copyright comments:

   LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
   export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL

As for my previous posting regarding the Blackdown JDK and RH7.1.  Although
it works off the box for console programs, running the SwingSet2 example
causes it to freeze at the splash screen.  The problem is also fixed
using the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL flag.

Alexander