On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Vladimir G Ivanovic wrote:

> Why don't you try IBM's JDK? The Volano test results show it to be a
> powerful performer, and coupled with jikes, it makes pretty nifty
> development environment. Seems like an all-around winner to me.

Yes, but it has some very **nasty bugs**.
Two of them which I have recently run onto (present in SR6):
- You cannot create two multicast sockets in the same process (some
confusion with the kernel interfaces, works with 2.2.x kernels  but not with
2.4.x)
- Interrupting threads that do reads in native code does not result in an
EINTR in the native read call

None of those occur with blackdown 1.3.0FCS (haven't tried sun)

Supposedly the first one will be fixed in SR7, and I haven't reported the
second one yet (I run on it a couple of days ago and haven't found the time
to isolate a small test program which gets directly to the point) -- but
there is no release date for SR7...

As a general observation, IBM's jdk is perceivably faster than blackdown
jdk, but the latter is far more reliable.

-- dimitris
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]