if this went through great! I'm resending because I qyv'ed up the address...

 First. thanks all who replied about my earlier question about
 javascript.  (Extending thanks to  those who answered the process
 question as well)

 More Javascript& java tho:
     I'm working on an intranet - and I've been told that I can use Swing
 applets.  What do I need to do to enable that?
   I need to have javascript events trigger actions in a JTree.  I
 checked out LiveConnect, and it seems to deal more with java writing
 javascript.  This is cool, but not what I need right now.  What I need
 is to pass JavaScript variables dynamically, without page reload, to the
 applet and have the JTree change state based on that.  This solution is
 targeted for IE as well.  Is this possible?  How would I go about
 getting started with that?