Robbie Baldock wrote:

> Can anyone confirm whether the Linux port of JDK 1.3 requires a
> virtual X server (eg: Xvfb) to be running before being able to draw off-
> screen graphics with a BufferedImage?  Older versions certainly
> needed this but I'm hoping the answer to this is now "no"...

Anytime you use awt graphics you need a X server running, being Xvfb or
one tied to a graphics card. The server resources are needed even if your
output is a BufferedImage.

Xvfb is very easy to set up. It seems to me that it uses less
resources (memory) than a real X server.
On that topic, at least for RH6.2, remember to put the URW fonts first
in the fontpath (-fp) for Xvfb.

--
Diego Pons                                     Pharos Consulting LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                  Los Angeles, CA