On Wed, 23 May 2001, Amol Kulkarni wrote:

> Hi,
> Following is a code which i use to invoke a JDialog on Red Hat 7.0
> using blackdowns jdk1.2.2. But the Dialog doesn't seem to be visible.
> I see that it is being created at the status bar,but it still doesn't
> show up
> The same code works perfectly well on Windows NT. Can anybody tell me
> the reason behind it.

I don't remember the specific details, but the gist of the problem is
that the native peers for JWindow, JDialog, and JFrame perform some
native pack()/revalidate() calls on their own, masking the need to do
them in Java.  I've encountered a number of apps written by windows
developers which behave this way on Solaris and Unix because the
java code doesn't call the *validate() methods it needs to be calling.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember the specifics.  The last time I
had source available to fix this was 8 months ago and I've long forgotten
what I had to fix.

> /*Code Start*/
> JDialog npd=new JDialog(Dialog d,String s);
> npd.show();
> npd.setSize(250,250);
> /*Code End*/

Shouldn't you do the setSize() before the show()?

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson