I cannot speak for either compaq || blackdown, but at:

http://www.compaq.com/java/documentation/1.3.1/linux/docs/release_notes.html

u will find a linux/jvm WITH a JIT for the alpha computer. It was built with
Compaq's CCC compiler, as well as their equivalent c++ compiler. And as some
recent discourse has demonstrated that the FP optimization, as well as some
integer arith is better done by the CCC compiler.

There may also be a JDK1.2.2 still around the compaq sites, also with a JIT, but I
think only in beta release.

u may also find some other alpha jvm's at http://www.alphalinux.org, but Compaq is
the only one I know of that has a usefull JIT for the alpha.

I hope this is usefull to u.
/gat

BTW when u get tired of the little ds20 machine, maybe u can ship it over here :-}