Hi,

this is a mailing list about Java Sound. There is also a mailing list
about JMF. Nevertheless, you asked on the right list. JS can be
considered part of JMF, or not. JMF can work without JS, but if you use
the "performance pack" version, JS is included (and used). JS is also
part of the jdk, starting with version 1.3.

The real difference is that JS is a more low-level API, where JMF is a
high-level one. If you want to do serious MIDI work (means beyond
playing a MIDI file), I recommend using JS directely. It allows you to
manipulate data on the MIDI event level. So in the following I will
speak about Java Sound.

Now to your question: The Sun implementation of JS does not really deal
with external MIDI. It tries to do, but it is not in a usable state.
That's the bad news. The good news is that there is an alternative JS
implementation called Tritonus that supports the ALSA sequencer, giving
you external MIDI support.

Have a look at http://www.tritonus.org/

the version 0.3.0, though called a development version, is quite stable
and supports ALSA 0.5.X. So this is the one for you. Playback of MIDI
files to external ports is well-tested, besides some problems related to
sysex events. Input from the "raw" MidiDevices is working, too. Not yet
implemented is capturing using the Sequencer object of Java Sound.

If you want to switch to ALSA 0.9.X, use the development state of
Tritonus from its cvs repository. Sequencer related parts should work;
PCM is in the middle of a major rehack and may be uncompilable.

For further questions on Tritonus, please use the tritonus-user or
tritonus-devel maling lists.

Matthias

"em@nuel" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list.  I'm just starting to experiment with JMF on
> Linux, and I haven't found in any documentation whether external MIDI
> devices are supported.  Is this the right place to ask about this?
>
> I'm using the ALSA drivers with OSS emulation.  ALSA midi players work
> fine, as do OSS midi players, but JMF does not appear to detect any
> external MIDI devices.
>
> Here's the output of a little program I wrote that prints out the
> results of MidiSystem.getMidiDeviceInfo():
>
> 0: description=Software wavetable synthesizer and receiver, name=Java Sound
>Synthesizer, vendor=Sun Microsystems, version=Version 1.0
> 1: description=Software sequencer / synthesizer module, name=Java Sound Sequencer,
>vendor=Sun Microsystems, version=Version 1.0
>
> This program detects all the right MIDI devices when I run it on
> Windows.
>
> If I play a MIDI file from jmstudio, it's played using the software
> synth.
>
> So my question is: does JMF for Linux support external MIDI devices
> (or, more generally, non-software synth MIDI devices)?
>
> If so, any tips on getting it to detect the device?  If not, I'll
> probably write a driver for ALSA.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Versions:
> alsa-driver-0.5.11
> j2sdk-1.3.0-FCS-linux-i386
> jmf-for-java2-2.1.1-fcs-linux-i386
> linux-2.4.4
>
> Using ALSA's ymfpci driver.

Matthias Pfisterer      <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        Take into account
        that great love
        and great achievements
        involve greak risk.

                 (from a nepalese mantra)

Java Sound Examples:
http://www.jsresources.org/jsexamples-old/
Tritonus, the open source implementation of the Java Sound API:
http://www.tritonus.org/