Hi Paul,

I had a similar problem.

This is a known bug from sun' bug databse (no 4389172). Besides suns
says that it is not a bug.

quote from the bug database entry :
"...
 Evaluation

The JNI specification makes no guarantees about whether certain C++
language
features, like C++ exceptions and RTTI, are valid in the context of
native
code. These C++ language features typically require all modules in the
system to be
compiled with the features enabled, and typically require run-time
support.
In this case there is likely poor interaction between gcc's run-time
library
and the host platform's standard library used by the VM. This is not a
problem we can fix.
..."

I was using gcc2.95.2 jdk1.3 on SuSE Linux 7.1 and my program would
always abort when a c++
exception was thrown.
When I switched to jre1.3.1 the problem disapeared.
But you have to call the VM in native mode (option '-native').

If that doesn't work then maybe you should additionally try to use
gcc2.95.2.
This is the compiler which was used to build the blackdown jdk - as far
as I know.
I was in contact with another developer who faced the same problem and
got it fixed
by shifting the c++ - compiler.

Regards, Markus.