This error, incidentally, comes about half the time,
running the command line repeatedly. Adding "-Xrs"
reduces the occurrence to about 1 out of 10 times (and
gives a different PC value, no surprise). Running from
jdb, the error doesn't occur at all.

Leads me to suspect a bug in java's shutdown code.

If anyone else has seen this behavior (or not), I'd
like to know your configuration.