Hello,

Is it possible to get an applet to read a text file on a client machine?

Title Description:

A background process on the client's desktop is generating numbers and writing these
to a text file. I want an applet to display different colours based on these numbers.
This text file will be updated on a per second basis and the applet must respond in
real time to these updates. For purposes of demonstration, I am the user.  Do I need
to grant the applet any extra privileges to read from the text file and how do I do
this as the applet programmer?