Quite hard actually. First and foremost, you *can't* use Sun's java classes in an implementation of Java that you want to distribute under an Open Source license. Just because Sun lets you see (some) of the source code, doesn't make it Free Software... it is still owned and controlled by Sun. So we need projects like GNU Classpath which create compatible versions of that part of the Java platform under a Free Software license.

Hmmm...
And is it possible to port Suns JVM - as closed source - to an other OpenSource VM (like .net/mono , like ikvm do it as free JVM) ?
If Suns Java VM running on an OpenSource VM (like mono), I think it is easyer to bring it on new platforms. Because then, it is only needed to port the OpenSource VM. And for that VM it is allowed to public the steps between the different releases.

Greatings theuserbl