I found a couple of bug reports you have logged before, most have been filed to the netbeans group which is why we've probably never seen them.

I don't use Mandrake myself, I did run your program on 1.4.2 (as 2.1) and saved and it loaded fine. I'm sure debian is fine too. If the machine is really badly halted as you describe then it really sounds like a graphics/driver issue. I've seen these from time to time. If it is then you should be able to run the app remotely displayed to another machine or use vnc, that would narrow down the cause, unfortunately both those are slower methods of access so may also hide a race condition too

regards
calvin

Richard -Gilligan- Uschold wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to report this, but I couldn't find a bug report link.

I could submit to Sun, but I've done that several times in the past, and they've never managed to fix anything. They take nearly a year to respond, and then can't reproduce the problem, and dismiss it as nor reproducible. For another bug I reported, they said it was the same as an already reported bug, but haven't fixed that one yet either.

A program I wrote, scoreRegatta crashes/hangs on Mandrake 10.0, but ran fine on Mandrake 8.0. Even Ctrl-Alt-F2 is ignored! The only way to recover is to hit the reboot button on the computer.

I was running Sun's v 1.4.2 on both drake 8.0 and drake 10.0:
46 pluto ~> java -version
java version "1.4.2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-b28, mixed mode)

I tried kaffee and gij, hoping these VM's might not have this problem, but neither will run even the most rudimentary gui application.

I tried blackdown java, which fails the same as Sun's java.
47 pluto ~> bjava -version
java version "1.4.2-rc1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.2-rc1)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.4.2-rc1, mixed mode)

The crash happens during the initialization phase of scoreRegatta. The progress bar has been as various positions between 50% and 80% during the hang.

I switched from Mandrake 8.0 to Mandrake 10.0 a few months ago, because Mandrake 8.0 would always hand during shutdown, failing to kill some process, and forcing ckdsk at every reboot.

Another related reason for switching, is that debugging scoreRegatta in NetBeans would often hang NetBeans. In particular, one java process would be in the "DiskSleep" state, and Netbeans would hang. I would kill the java processes and start NetBeans again. Unfortunately, theDiskSleep process can not be killed! Not even as root, not with -9
option, and worst of all, shutting down linux would not kill it either! Which would also force ckdsk on reboot.

The program:
installation package, including jar file: (README describes installation)
http://dbh3.us/cgi-bin/getZip/scoreRegatta.zip
java Source files:
http://dbh3.us/cgi-bin/getZip/RegattaSrc.zip

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.