Hi,
 I have following problem: I need to have an application
written with Swing which should support multiple languages,
in this specific case: Polish, Russian, Bulgarian and
English. After little fiddling with fonts I did managed to
get most texts displayed correctly. However I do have
following problems:

 - keyboard layouts: the only keyboard layout (selected
with KDE control panel tools) which allows to input non-us
charcaters is the one which matches Linux system locale. In
other words, if I do setup LC_ALL=pl then Polish layout
works, but Russian or Bulgarian inputs white squares or
some strange characters. If I switch locale to Russian, it
works opposite. I don't know what to do - it is certainly
not a problem with my application - JEdit behaves exactly
the same.

 - Frames title bars: I did set up my locale to PL, wrote
properties file using UTF-8, converted it using
native2ascii . Then application loads this file by
ResourceBundle and displays some texts in title bar. This
way works correctly in Windows. But in linux, if locale is
set to PL then all titles which contains polish characters
are disapearing. If I switch locale to POSIX, then they
appear, but with ? in place of polish characters. I did
have set title bar font to be Unicode (ISO-10646-1).

 The question is:
  Is this possible to have multilangual application in Java
with linux? Or even simpler: what should I do to be able to
edit multilangual files in JEdit?

 regards,
   Tomasz Sztejka

P.S.
 I did tried 1.4.2_rc1 from BlackdownOrg and latests Sun's
1.5. Both behaves exactly the same way.

P.S.2
 I'm getting litle mad - I can't use Windows because of its
inherent instability and can't use Linux because of above problem...