Hi All,
I'm chasing a problem where a (normally) smoothly-running java program
seems to briefly stall from time-to-time.

The CPU does not appear exhausted (according to "top") but the machine
is still fairly busy. One of the things that makes the machine busy is a
program that fires up a different java program in a tight loop.

I was wondering whether different JVMs on the same host can interact in
some way? Are there any common resources that could enable one JVM to be
blocked for a short period while another JVM is starting up? Or is my
problem more likely to be normal resource (CPU) competition?

I suspect it's the latter but thought I'd ask the experts to be sure.
I'm running:
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
Blackdown-1.4.2-rc1)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.4.2-rc1, mixed mode)

Many thanks,
  Dave