When I try to compile files, for example generics, I get errors telling me I
need source level 1.5 to do it.
$java -version displays
'java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 20060304 (Red Hat 4.1.0-3)'

I can compile using
$javac -source 1.5 <filename>    (obviously java 1.5.0_11 installed
correctly on the machine!)

How do I permanently change the source level of the JRE to use my downloaded
java-1.5.0_11?
In other words, get $java -version to display "java version 1.5.0"

Thanks