Q. How can I uninstall the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (JVM) from Windows
XP?

A. You might want to remove the Microsoft JVM, which Microsoft no longer
supports, in favor of the more recent Sun Microsystems' JVM. To remove the
Microsoft JVM, perform the following steps:

   1. From the Start menu, select Run.

   2. Enter the command

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall

to start the uninstall process

   3. Click Yes to the confirmation, then select Reboot.

   4. After the machine restarts, delete the following items:

      - the \%systemroot%\java folder

      - java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder

      - jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder

      - the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey

      - the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet

Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey (to remove the Microsoft
Internet Explorer--IE--options)