Hi there,

I'm using JServSSI and Apache (with FP98 server ext. :-(  ) running on
Linux using .shtml as SSI extension.
Everything works fine, but I'm wondering how to customize the error
response to "file not found" conditions. Since sometimes .shtml files get
removed from the website but are still in search engines indexes users will
be pointed to non existent pages.
But instead of responding with my 404 error document Apache will forward
the request to JServSSI servlet (as configured), JServSSI will not find the
file and responds with a message like

Java Server Side Include Error
Requested URI /hallo.shtml is not a file. Please, make sure you request a
java server side include file.

I would like to inform the user that she/he requested a non existent page
and should go back to the homepage.

Any ideas how to get a customized error response from JServSSI without
modifying sources?

Thank you very much!

Michael