Well I think you should take a look at the Servlet tutorial from Sun,
there are explanations
on how to communicate between servlets in the same engine.
Some engines support the so called servlet chaining
which seemed to me like a pretty nice feature that works fine for
situations like yours.....

Anyway, nowadays you have got different ways to work the
servlet-to-servlet communication out,
depending on the JSDK you are using. In 2.0 they suggest for example
to simply call the servlet via a URL request, or you can use the
ServletContext which would look somehow like follows:
myServletClass myServlet= (myServletClass)
        getServletConfig().getServletContext().getServlet("myServletName");
In the following you can use all the public methods of myServletClass (sure :).

I am not exactly sure about that in 2.1 never used it yet, but I
think they changed the API and
depracted the getServlet() method.  But I guess you can still just
call the JSSI servlet via a URL
and route the I/O (Input-> your first servlets output with the SSI
and Output directly into your
first servlets response.....)

Hope that helps

Dieter