On Friday 08 April 2005 07:42, pashupathinath wrote:
> hi,
>   i've created an index for database records. the
> problem is whenever i'm trying to update the database,
> i mean adding or deleting records from the database i
> want the index to be updated too.
>    right now, i am adding new documents to the
> existing index whenever i add new records to the
> database.
>    the main problem is how do i traverse through the
> existing index so that i wont add duplicate records in
> the index. i can use my primary key to check for
> duplicate records in the index.
>    how can i traverse through the values stored in the
> index and make sure that the new records are not
> duplicated ? once i encounter the duplicate primary
> key, i should be able to delete all the various fields
> values associated with that primary key.

Lucene does not provide this, ie. one can add
any document to the an index as often as one wants.
That means that it is necessary to implement
the identity yourself, eg. by using one field as primary
key, and/or use some hash of the document content
in another field.
Before adding a new document, one can lookup the
old one and check whether it should be deleted or not.

Updating documents is done by deletion and insertion
and this is best done in batches for efficiency.

Regards,
Paul Elschot