From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:10 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: how long should optimizing take

I would run your optimize process in a separate thread, so that your web
client doesn't have to wait for it to return.

You may even want to set the optimize part up to run on a weekly
schedule, at a low load time.  I probably wouldn't reoptimize after
every 30 documents, on an index that size.

Optimizing takes a while on your index, because it basically has to copy
the entire index to a new index, so it will take how ever long it takes
to copy 2 GB's on your hardware + a small amount of overhead...

Dan