There is a proposal to extend indexing (item #11 in the API Changes section):

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/Lucene2Whiteboard

An excerpt:

   11. (Hard) Make indexing more flexible, so that one could
   e.g., not store positions or even frequencies, or alternately,
   to store extra information with each position, or to even use
   different posting compression algorithms.

I'm pretty sure that an implementation of this proposal would allow you to store the positioning information with each position/token.

Doug Cutting posted recently about this (at the bottom of the message):

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-dev/200505.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]

Steve

Corey Keith wrote:
I am involved in a project which is trying to provide searching and hit highlighting on the scanned image of historical newspapers. We
have an XML based OCR format. A sample is below. We need to index the
CONTENT attribute of the String element which is the easy part. We
would like to be able find the "hits" within this XML document in
order to use the positioning information to draw the highlight boxes
on the image. It doesn't make a lot of sense to just extract the
CONTENT and index that because we loose the positioning information.
My second thought was to make a custom analyzer which dropped
everything except for the content element and then used the
highlighting class in the sandbox to reanalyze the XML document and
mark the hits. With the marked hits in the XML we could find the
position information and draw on the image. Has anyone else worked
with OCR information and lucene. What was your approach? Does this
approach seem sound? Any recommendations?