I think your setup is right for a centralized IndexQueueManager that is
subscribed to topics to which your distributed servers push data to
index via JMS.  That way you get an easy way to add more machines to
the cluster, you get persistence of not-yet-indexed data, and you get a
queuing mechanism that takes care of locking issues.

Otis