On Sunday 03 July 2005 15:27, Dave Kor wrote:
> I have a system that automatically generate span queries to Lucene.
Sometimes,
> the system generates a query like this one which always throws a
> RuntimeException:
>
> spanNear([spanNear([text:interesting], 3, true), spanNear([text:interesting,
> text:john, text:said], 8, true)], 2, true)
>
> Basically, the system is looking for a document that contains a string
sequence
> "interesting .... interesting john said". The thrown exception is as
follows:

> java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected: ordered
>         at

org.apache.lucene.search.spans.NearSpans.firstNonOrderedNextToPartialList(Unknown
> Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.spans.NearSpans.next(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.spans.SpanScorer.next(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.Scorer.score(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(Unknown Source)
>
> My question is, what does is this "Unexpected: ordered" mean? and is there
> anyway I can avoid these exceptions?

It's an internal error that is not supposed to occur.
Could you continue on the java-dev list?

SpanNearQuery is not supposed to operate on a single argument, at least
that's what I thought when I wrote the bug fix code that throws this
exception. Does the exception go away when you replace the first spanNear
(the one with the single [text:interesting]  with a SpanTermQuery ?

It's also possible that the code cannot handle the two identical
text:interesting arguments.

It's probably good to have a test case for this. Could you extend the
exception with the document number and maybe a position within the
document to try and get to the original text that causes this exception,
and use that to file a bug report?

Regards,
Paul Elschot