The problem that I saw (from your email only) with the "ship the full
little index to the Queen" approach is that, from what I understand,
you eventually do addIndexes(Directory[]) in there, and as this
optimizes things in the end, this means your whole index gets
re-written to disk after each such call.

As for MapReduce, from what I understand, it's quite a bit more
complicated under the hood, but very simple on the surface - given a
single big task, chop it up into a number of smaller ones, put them in
the massive, parallel system, and re-assemble them when they are done.

I'm not sure how generic or Nutch-specific Doug and Mike's MapReduce
code is in Nutch, I haven't been paying close enough attention.

Otis