Hi all,

I have a problem related to index size and deleting and optimizing. So
from reading various sources online, it seems as though the size of the
Lucene index should become no larger than half the size of the disk
since during optimization, the size of the index can ballon to double
the original unoptimized size. Unfortunately, I've allowed my index to
grow past half the size of the disk (well, actually I only have 8% disk
capacity remaining).

So, I can delete a chunk of documents by using IndexReader.delete() but
disk space won't actually be freed up until I run optimize(). But
running optimize() may cause the index to grow until the disk runs out
of space.

What should I do? Should I just not optimize and believe that adding new
documents will automatically replace the space taken up by the deleted
documents? Or is my only option to nuke the index and remember next time
to not allow the index to grow to more than half the size of the disk?

Thanks,
Peter