On Aug 12, 2005, at 9:22 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
: Programatically you can use PhrasePrefixQuery - see Lucene's test
: case code for examples of how it's used, but it is a bit of work to
: set up.

That's only needed if you assume that the field contains tokenized text. if the whole name is indexed as a single Term, then a regular prefix query
should work -- in fact, telling QueryParser to use an Analyzer that
doesn't do any tokenizing should work too.

Thats a good point - thanks for mentioning that. However you'd still have to deal with escaping the space. I haven't tried it, but would a query of john\ j* using the KeywordAnalyzer do the trick? This requires that "john jacob... schmidt" be left as a single token during indexing.

    Erik

: > Is there a way to get lucene to get "satisfied" after matching "john"
: > and then require a second j-word to return a match for j*
:
: In short, not easily, but it is possible with PhrasePrefixQuery
: programatically. QueryParser does not support this at all currently.
:
:
:      Erik
:
: > The error might be on my end though.
: > If I have the same person registered as "john carlson" and "john
: > doe carlson"
: > I add both values to the name field -- could that be it? If that is so : > I wouldn't expect lucene to return the hit if I search for e.g. "john
: > joh* jo*" ?
: >
: > At least I'd like to boost the ranking of the results that match
: > better. Right now "john j*" gives me john thompson as the top hit even
: > though there are heaps of john johnsons.
: >
: > I hope you can point me in the right direction.
: > Thanks
: >
: > /Lasse
: >
: > My query parser code looks like this:
: > QueryParser parser = new QueryParser(field, _analyzer);
: >             parser.setOperator(QueryParser.DEFAULT_OPERATOR_AND);
: >             parser.setLocale(new Locale("DA", "dk"));
: >             Query q = parser.parse(value);
: >             query.add(q, required, false);
: >
: > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: > For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: >
:
:
: To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:

-Hoss