I think you're jumping into the conversation too late.  What you have said here
does not
address the problem at hand.  That is, in TermInfosReader, all terms in the
segment get
loaded into three very large arrays.  If your index is massive and has many
fields
indexed (dates for example), you need huge amounts of memory to accommodate for
it.  The
only way around this is to change lucene in such a way that it does not store
all these
terms in memory.  It is possible that an implementation can be made that will
be fast
for regular fields, but go to disk for fields that are "special" (i.e. dates)
or some
such thing.

Tony Schwartz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]