I have a custom Analyzer which performs normalization on all of the terms as they pass through.

It does normalization like the following:

trees -> tree

Sometimes my normalizer returns multiple words for a normalization - for example:

leaves -> leaf leave

The second and all subsequent terms have the position increment set to 0.

The problem I am having now is that the QueryParser seems to ignore the positionIncrement values. If I create a QueryParser with my normalizing analyzer, and ask it to parse the following (default field of 'body'):

'something about leaves' - the query it generates is: 'body:something body:about body:"leaf leave"'

which does not find results, due to the double quotes.

I would have expected: 'body:something body:about body:leaf body:leave'

Is there any way I can fix this? It is a bug? Or just a mis-use and/or unsupported use case of the Query Parser?

Thanks,

Dan

--
Daniel Armbrust