This sounds like another "group by" totalling
question.

See the generic "group by" totalling code I posted
here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-dev&m=111044178212335&w=2

In your example there is no quality threshold (just a
filter bitset of "books in 2002") so you can replace
the "scores" array in the code with a simple bitset
lookup. Also, you do not need the GroupKeyFactory
which can be used to adjust term values (eg truncate
20050101 date field into 2005 for grouping by year).

The code works best when your group field (in your
case "author") doesn't have large volumes of unique
values. It is fast because it uses TermDocs rather
than trying to read any stored doc values - reading
stored fields by calling reader.document() is often
slow because ALL doc fields are read from disk, even
if you only want one of them. Not something to do in a
tight loop.

Cheers,
Mark