Code and examples for embedding Lucene in HSQLDB and Derby relational databases:
<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-434>

Rick Hillegas wrote:
Thanks to Yonik for replying to my last question about queries and filters.

Now I have another issue. I would appreciate any pointers to attempts to integrate Lucene with databases. There's a tantalizing reference to a class called JDBCDirectory mentioned at http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LatestNews. However, my browser times out trying to access the follow-up link http://ppinew.mnis.com/jdbcdirectory. An email thread (http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@lucene.apache.org/msg01036.html) makes me hope that this class helps an application index a body of documents stored in a relational database. But this class, perhaps a cousin of FSDirectory and RAMDirectory, doesn't seem to be part of Lucene proper.

In any event, I would appreciate pointers to people's experience integrating Lucene with relational databases. I realize this is a very broad question. It sweeps up topics like the following:

o Indexing content that is stored in a dbms

o Wrapping filters around the results of sql queries

o Integrating Lucene query syntax with sql query syntax

o Practical tips about when to expose information as a Lucene field vs. when to expose that information as a column in a relational table

Thanks,
-Rick