Are you using a hit collector? I think if you use a hit collector rather
than the Hits object for getting query results, deleted items will still
be returned as results. My workaround for this was to run optimize after
I finish a batch of deletes, which works fine for my system because I
only run a batch of deletes once a day.

Peter