Are you using the compound index format (do you have .cfs files)?  I
think using the non-compound format might take less space (2.5G less
in your case) when optimizing, since it doesn't have to do that last
step of copying all the index files into the .cfs file.

Also Lucene 1.9 (available from subversion) seems to take less disk
space during optimizing with the compound format.

As for your original question, what is your mergeFactor set to?  Try
setting it lower (down to 2 if you want to minimize the number of
segments).  This will cause more frequent merges during indexing, but
keep the number of segments down.

-chris