From: Murali [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:33 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: searching portions of an index

Hi,

    I am new to lucene. We need to provide search to several users of a
system. Each user has access to a (different)set of documents. The same
document might be accessible by different users. I want to implement
this without indexing a document multiple times. The approach I thought
of was to use a field that is indexed, as well as stored in the index,
which contains the ids of all the users that can access the document. I
could then use boolean queries to search for documents accessible by a
particular user. I figured that I would have to delete and add the whole
document again into the system if a new user is to be given access to an
already indexed document(and I figure that this will happen frequently
in the system). Is there a better approach that I can take?

Thanks,
Murali