From: Grant Ingersoll [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:26 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: boosting results with a field from the

Hi Klaus,

You might want to just set the boost value of the
Document using your
importance number, then Lucene will factor that in
automatically when
scoring.  See the Document#setBoost javadoc for info.

You could also sort on the field, I think, so that the
more important
docs come to the top.

-Grant

Klaus Hubert wrote:

>Hi and a Happy New Year!
>
>I created a lucene index with 2 fields (text and
importance). The text
contains the real text and importance is a field where
I manually give a
number between 1 and 5 for the related document. When
I search the index I
find the documents with the highest revelancy weighted
automatically by
lucene. I'm just wondering if I can boost the results
with the importance
field I already have stored in the index. As I result
I expect the same
search results just weighted differently. Something
like relevancy
multiplied by importance.

>Thank you so much,
>
>  Klaus
>

>---------------------------------
>Yahoo! Photos
> Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add
photos, events, holidays,
whatever.

Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer