: Thanks Chris, I had thought of that one, but unfortunately the title
: could be quite long, and there are literally millions of documents.
: Isn't each title going to be included as one "term" in the index
: dictionary?  If so, won't the index get ridiculously large and slow?

It depends on your definitions of "large" and "slow" ... I haven't had any
complains, but i haven't really tried chaning my implimentation to see if
i can improve on it.

one thing you may not have thought about yet that may affect your
decision: sorting in lucene requires the field be indexed but untokenized.
so if you want to support sortting on the conceptual "title", you'll still
need a version of your title field that's untokenized, which can then be
used for these types of queries for free.

(it's the kind of thing people sometimes don't realize untill late in
their development, they make sure all of their queries return the results
they expect before they worry about what kinds of sorting they need to
support)

-Hoss