Hi Jose,
There are several papers on that topic. But the one which particularly interested me was

An information-theoretic approach to automatic query expansion
Claudio Carpineto, Renato de Mori, Giovanni Romano, Brigitte Bigi
ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS)

It would be interesting to see your results. There are two different problems in expanding the query.
(1) Determining the expanded terms using methods like
           (a) Dictionary lookup
           (b) Local or global analysis

(2) Assigning weights to the expanded terms. What should the weight on the expanded term be? Is it in the order of 10, 100 or some logarithmic scale?

         Do you have any results (preliminary) results on problem (2)?

Thanks,

Rajesh Munavalli
José Ramón Pérez Agüera wrote:
what articles you have read? i work in automatic query expansion and automatic
thesaurus generation, and i use lucene for my tests, but, by now, i don't have
excellent results. In a few days i will have results based in this method:

Concept Based Query Expansion (1993) Yonggang Qiu Department of Computer Science Swiss Federal Institute of...
Proceedings of SIGIR-93, 16th ACM International Conference on Research and
Development in Information Retrieval
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/qiu93concept.html

are you interested?

jose

Sorry for my english

José Ramón Pérez Agüera
Despacho 411 tlf. 913947599
Dept. de Sistemas Informáticos y Programación
Facultad de Informática
Universidad Complutense de Madrid